Sunday, October 9, 2011

Math Class

Does anyone else go into this class thinking "oh its just elementary school math, it will be easy"? Does anyone feel like they are dumb ? This math is harder then high school math. In class i feel so lost, like i don't remember ever learning this stuff. i don't like the feeling of struggling, but i'm trying to push myself to do good because i know i will grow from it. This class will make me smarter. But i recently just switched my major to liberal arts because now i don't know if i want to be a teacher anymore. But by being in this class when i don't really need it anymore is making it harder for me to stay focused and motivated. I know i need to try and do good because i want a passing grade. Out of all my classes this is the hardest one by far. I don't understand why i can't understand what we are learning. I think i might need to be shown a different way because for some reason none of it is sticking. I don't know why but i find this class to be very hard and it doesn't make me feel good about myself. I believe that i can do better on the test if i actually put 100% effort in and did everything i could to get good grades. i know i should probably be going to anyone to get any extra help i can get but i have no interest in this class to push myself. i find myself getting more aggravated as we learn more things.

5 comments:

  1. I understand your frustration with the course material, and how alien it may seem from other math courses you have taken in the past. I see that you have switched your major to liberal arts, in the place of pursuing a career in teaching. However, you should not view this class as something that is not really needed. Liberal arts, by definition, is a broad program full of general knowledge. Its purpose is to expose you to many different avenues of study, with the aim of increasing your overall proficiency and ability to reason. While this class is designed for the potential elementary math teacher, the material is firmly liberal arts mathematics. It is a class for non-math majors. The concepts covered in this class are not limited to a person wanting to become an elementary school teacher; they have many applications in other fields. Most importantly, the material presented in this course is at the basis of mathematical concepts. The very core of what mathematics is. It’s about problem solving and thinking logically. So, no matter what you choose to do, this class can be invaluable. So stick with it and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I defiantly agree with you about walking into elementary school math and feeling as if you know nothing, feeling as if your stupid for not knowing simple fourth grade math. For me i have been taking every assignment she has given and try'd to find help as much as i could. If you do decide to switch your major back to teaching, (which i strongly advise you to do) try seeking help through the math lab, other people in class or the professor. i can relate to the problem your facing in the class, just try to hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that most people when they sign up for this class believe that it is going to teach you how to teach elementary math. Of course they would not be teaching elementary math to students becuase it would be too easy. I believe that the class should be about the steps and materials you need to teach math, but not high school math. This class is hard and even though I took math in high school, I as well do not rememeber learning this stuff. It should be called another algebra class. The first day of class our teacher said we are learing this stuff to not have to think about what we are doing and just being able to do it... and with out a calculator. Which for me is not a good thing. Because all through high school all we used were calculator. All I can say is hang in there because I know that you are not the only one having problems in this class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think you just have to approach it differently, you cant go into to class with the attitude that you have no idea what were learning and you dont understand cuz u wont learn anything. Go into class with an open mind and try to understand whats goin on. I'll tey to help u as much as i can, if im allowed. Just keep ur head up

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand your frustrations also. This is a completely different type of course. No, you are not learning how to teach math, but that is because you need to KNOW the math first BEFORE you can teach it! This course is designed to make you think about WHY the math works and to learn different techniques for solving problems. You do need to approach it with an open mind and get help if you need it. If you do stick with becoming a teacher, you will want to make sure you are a good role model. Part of being a good role model is to accept the challenges of a subject, appreciate them, and hopefully, overcome them.

    ReplyDelete